Sunday, May 11, 2008

The Future of my Future

While the graduation lunch following my sister's "commencement" ceremony from UIC was delicious, it was also unnecessarily stressful.

After the congratulatory toast all talk turned to the future and money. How was she going to make a living? Was she going to move out to San Diego and work in a big Pharm Company? Was she going to go for her Masters in Medicine?

And then the conversation shifted gently over into my future.

My aunt and uncle are firm believers in realism. In fact they absolutely have no faith in my romantic ideas of majoring in writing and journalism.

My parents are firm enough supporters of what I want to do with my life but my aunt and uncle never miss a beat to tell me that I will make bad money. They're probably right. There's not a huge chance that I will ever make a lot of money in journalism and freelance writing unless I stand out enough. I'm hoping that I will- but this is a big dream. I could quite possibly never make more than fifty grand.

Yet, this isn't a disgusting salary. Matched with a salary of a partner of about equal earning I will still have more money than most of America.

But with a salary so much smaller than the one I live under now will I really live in my idea of "comfort?"

My aunt and uncle say no.

I'm not really sure what the answer is.

We've been socially programmed to reach for money before reaching for something that might make us happier.

Of course I can major in business and take over my father's company- i'll make a nice chunk of cash, but that thought doesn't inspire me.

I'm inspired by the idea of writing regardless of the outlet.

I don't think i'm the only one that faces this problem.

Art School Versus Law?

It's clear your chances of stability are better with law but will this stability really bring you happiness?

I'd like to think I would rather enjoy going to work than waiting desperately to go home everday...regardless the salary.

What do you think?

3 comments:

Sal said...

I think money is one factor, but only one. Happiness is something totally different and way more important. Read Aubrie's latest post from period 1and then read my comment:
http://tamalesnpunx.blogspot.com/

I think you should pursue your passion. And for the record there are many journalists who make very good money.

Bianca [lola] Niazi said...

I think you can be a journalist. And i thnk you can do it if you try. you have a very good way of writing and saying what you want to say in very simplistic terms. I think you will be fine in life and successful. I also like your dad's new car.

S Liesl said...

If there's anyone who truly understands the decision you face, it's me. I have chosen to pursue art while ignoring my proficiency in academics. It's honestly terrifying. This is an unstable path with no certainty in high paying jobs because everything is based on personality, personal taste, and the public's opinions. Much is the same with writing. If you can appeal to others, you'll do well. And you, my friend, can appeal to others like no one else I know. Your wit and sarcasm can only be appreciated in such confusing and complex times.